Church History

 

History of Our Church

In 1896 the Reverend Purdy B. Moyer first met with several Chalfont residents to discuss the creation of a new Methodist Episcopal Church. Formal organization of the church took place on January 30, 1897, with 26 charter members.

 

oldchurch

 

 

A church building was purchased for $1,000 on North Main Street in Chalfont. It had been built in 1878 and was previously used by the New Mennonite church and a German Reformed Congregation.

 

 

 

 

After 65 years the growing Chalfont United Methodist Church needed to expand. The present church was built on 8 acres of land at the corner of Butler Avenue and Meadowbrook Lane. The new church was consecrated in the fall of 1962.

 

church outside

 

Eventually our congregation realized that we needed more space. A new addition was built, adding a large “Family Life Center”, offices and two nurseries to the existing church facilities. In May of 1990 this new addition was consecrated to the glory of God.




We love our church and cherish its long history! We invite you to join us as we seek to minister to the growing Chalfont community. In the footsteps of our founders we seek to be God’s people leading many to our Lord and Savior; and nurturing them in the Faith.

© 2017 Chalfont United Methodist Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community